Tuesday, December 1, 2015

On to the First Track

The first switch I tried, I thought the best way would be to just have the splines fork. This proved to not only leave big gaps, but it was hard to get the right angle.

After talking to Joe Fugate at Train Fest and getting Craig Bisgeier's input, I realized a better way to approach adding switches is to cut a piece from a pine 1x4 and glue it to the spline where a switch is needed.

I got my number one helper Katy to come out to the section house when it came time to put the 45 degree angles on the sides.

Once all the spline was built, it was time to attach it to the benchwork. I put in a 1% grade between Hardin and Parkman. I left the track thru Lodge Grass level. A 48" level with a piece of 3/4" plywood under one end is pretty close to 1%.

The house track at Lodge Grass needed a curved turnout, so I had to make one using a jigsaw and bench sanding wheel. This photo also shows the countersunk screws that hold the spline to the risers. Two generally aren't needed, but I didn't get quite enough glue in this spot and the first screws caused the spines to separate some.

I had tried using latex painters calk on the expansion of my old layout and that seems to make sense for the Masonite splines since it doesn't take spikes at all and I am not adding a layer of cork or Homasote to the top. I forgot to stock up on soup cans to weigh the track down, so I scrounged for everything heavy I could find.

After the calk dried overnight, this was the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment